Teiresias1960

William Weaver, Italo Calvino
Chaos: The Making of a New Science
James Gleick
Apollo
'Catherine Bly Cox', 'Charles Murray'
How Proust Can Change Your Life
Max Hastings
The Cambridge Companion to Science Fiction
Helen Merrick, Edward James, Farah Mendlesohn

Master Han's Daughter: Tales From Depraved Neo-Tokyo

Based on a review I had read, I was expecting a novel that included all of my favorite elements:  Sci Fi + Cyberpunk + Neo-Tokyo + Kinky Sex.  Midori's book included all of that (and more), but was most definitely not a novel.  It is a series of short stories based on the same setting, with loose ties, and a few parallel themes linking them together.  As science fiction goes, I enjoyed most of the stories.  The author successfully captured the cyber-punk mood and rhythm, and the often predatory element of its citizenry.  Midori is clearly a talented writer, and I look forward to a novel along similar lines.  The short stories couldn't quite carry through on some of my other interests.  For example, I would've preferred a more detailed discussion of her version of Neo-Tokyo, and its stratified society.  As for the sex, as other's have mentioned, it was pretty hot stuff--well beyond vanilla--let the buyer beware.  Midori's book was quite reminiscent of Bacigalupi's "Windup Girl," without the detailed descriptions of the devastating effects of climate change on economies and societies.  It had the same dystopian tone, including that element of hopelessness, and actors with few redeeming moral qualities.  All in all, a worthy effort, though quite short for those looking to spend a bit more time in Midori's "depraved Neo-Tokyo."